JOB TITLE: Support Technician
North Platte Surgery Center
SUPERVISED BY: Director of Nursing, Charge Nurses and Registered Nurses
EMPLOYEES SUPERVISED: None JOB SUMMARY:
A. Support techs provide assistance to anesthesia care providers, assist patients as directed by registered nurses or anesthesia care providers, perform environmental services for the department, maintain par levels for supplies and perform additional tasks as directed. Prepares and maintains supplies, instruments and equipment related to these procedures.
B. The employee is required to follow the surgery center rules, policies and procedures, as well as any applicable laws and standards.
C. Supports the philosophy, objectives and goals of the surgery center.
D. Supports and participates in quality improvement activities.
E. Provides appropriate care needed by the patients in the groups identified below if applicable:
Infancy 0-1 year
Toddler 13 months to 2 years
Preschooler 3-5 years
Elementary School 6-11 years
Adolescence 12-17 years
Young Adulthood 18-40 years
Middle Adulthood 41-64 years
Late Adulthood 65 years and older
2. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
A. Interpersonal Skills
1. Maintains professionalism in behavior and appearance.
2. Communicates effectively and openly in a courteous manner.
3. Attends and participates in staff meetings and inservices.
4. Channels suggestions, criticism and questions to appropriate personnel.
5. Introduces self to patient and explains transport procedure to them/family.
B. Critical Thinking
1. Reports variances in a timely and accurate manner.
2. Maintains patient and surgery center confidentiality.
3. Demonstrates punctuality in arrival and departure, flexibility in scheduling and compliance with break and meal times.
4. Reviews departmental policies and procedures.
5. Responds appropriately during fire, disaster, emergency drills and events.
6. Reports unsafe equipment to supervisor.
7. Participates in quality assessment and evaluation.
1. Verifies patient identification. Instructs family on location of waiting area.
2. Offers patients warm blankets, applies caps, etc. when appropriate.
3. Prepares cleaning supplies, restocks supplies, warmers and linens.
4. Keeps scrub sinks clean and floor area-surrounding sinks dry.
5. Monitors and documents fluid warmer temperature for surgery suites daily.
6. Assists in moving patients in a safe manner.
7. Assists with positioning patients and preps, obtaining patient vitals.
8. Assists with room turnover, startup, positioning of patient and induction of anesthesia with knowledge of patient safety.
9. Organizes/cleans lounge area at end of day.
10. Assists with cleaning and making up of transport carts.
11. Empties trash and linen in all areas if needed during the day.
12. Performs weekly, biweekly and monthly cleaning duties as assigned.
13. Assists with restocking supplies.
14. Transports supplies, patients, equipment, pathology and x-ray specimens.
15. Assists with room turnover and cleaning.
16. Performs other tasks as assigned.
1. Reports need for service/repair to supervisor.
2. Demonstrates competency.
3. Practices universal precautions.
3. MARGINAL FUNCTIONS:
A. Computer skills. Stocking supplies
A. High school graduate.
A. Previous clinical experience and medical terminology preferred.
B. Previous custodial or nurse aide experience desirable.
6. SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
A. Must be able to organize and prioritize work.
B. Demonstrates good guest relations with others.
C. Assists materials manager, sterile processing personnel, anesthesia, and nursing with duties as needed.
D. Good interpersonal skills and ability to perform a variety of tasks.
E. Operate equipment, ability to work under time constraint or in emergencies.
7. CERTIFICATION ETC:
A. Certification as basic nursing assistant desirable.
B. BLS certification required.
8. PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
A. Stands or walks seven hours per day, sits up to one hour per day.
B. Must be able to work entire scheduled shift.
C. Lifts patients, instruments, supplies, equipment, pushes/pulls patient carts.
D. Visual acuity and manual dexterity required.
9. WORKING CONDITIONS:
A. Patient care area: exposure to blood and body fluids, contagious diseases, hazardous chemicals, dangerous fumes, radiation and medical gasses.
B. Must be adaptable to changes in normal work hours.
C. Must be able to adapt to cool or warm and noisy working conditions.
D. Able to lift/carry up to approximately 30 pounds.
10. PROMOTIONAL OPPORTUNITIES:
A. Any job you can meet qualifications of.
The support tech is classified as a non-exempt employee and is eligible for overtime pay according to the provisions stated in the surgery center’s personnel policies. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and working conditions for the persons so classified. An employee may be assigned or requested to perform other related duties.
Hospital Jobs | Recruitology.com