Gaston College is seeking a Coordinator/Instructor-Department for EMS Education
Assist in the overall management, operation, coordination, and national accreditation of the College’s Department for Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Education. Instruct curriculum and continuing education, including programs and courses approved by the North Carolina Office of EMS (NCOEMS), the American Heart Association (AHA), initial and renewal courses for EMS, and specialty courses for emergency patient care.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in the overall management, operation, coordination, and national accreditation of the College’s Department for Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Education, which includes staffing, performance management (e.g., evaluating and coaching instructors), supply/inventory/equipment management and/or maintenance, course and instructor scheduling, and student success.
- Develop, maintain, and effectively apply knowledge and understanding of EMS practices, and instructional methods including EMS Education Standards, EMS Scope of Practice, EMS Core Content, Institute of Medicine reports, and NCOEMS rules and regulations is it pertains to program operations and accreditation.
- Adhere to the Administrative Code and Rules in accordance with the North Carolina Office of EMS and 10A NCAC 13P – 2009 EMS and Trauma Rules, the National Association of EMS Educators Good Practice Statements, and the Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Profession, as updated.
- Develop and maintain materials and procedures needed for regional accreditation (SACSCOC) and national accreditation for the Emergency Medical Services Professions (CoAEMSP).
- Assist with budgeting and financial management for the Department for EMS Education.
- Assist with establishing, implementing, and maintaining operating procedures, equipment, and facilities of the Department for EMS Education.
- Develop class/training schedules, oversee the scheduling of participants, and coordinate specialty courses, refresher courses, instructor courses, and special needs courses.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of EMS training and certification reports, records, logs, etc. for EMS part-time Continuing Education instructors, track certification expirations.
- Develop and implement distance learning and web-assisted courses that meet College and accreditation standards.
- Work with full- and part-time instructors and staff regarding EMS education requirements and provide information and instruction as needed.
- Advise EMS curriculum and continuing education students according to College practices and standards.
- Maintain a high-degree of flexibility to be accessible and accommodate student needs, which may require meetings outside of scheduled classroom or office time.
- Evaluate EMS Continuing Education courses and the performance of instructors and students through in-station observations and field internship experience.
- Maintain a working knowledge and practice in the operation of EMS training equipment such as stretchers, defibrillators, manikins, IV equipment, human patient simulators, ambulances, and suction units, and ensure that classrooms and labs are properly equipped to aid instruction.
- Research product vendors to determine appropriate resources for EMS training materials and make recommendations for purchase.
- Develop and prepare lesson plans and course materials, or assist full- and/or part-time curriculum and Continuing Education instructors in preparation of these materials.
- Serve as an individual, team, and/or lead instructor for various EMS and AHA courses and instruct initial and renewal classes through Continuing Education according to approved or required standards.
- Teach at least two curriculum and/or continuing education courses per semester. Teach assigned classes using a variety of instructional methods to achieve student learning according to expected outcomes. Appropriately teach or present information, ideas, and skills in ways that accommodate different learning styles of a diverse student population.
- Attend meetings, seminars, workshops, conferences, etc., as scheduled or assigned.
- Maintain a high standard of professionalism in representing the College including confidentiality in all aspects of the position’s responsibilities and adherence to policies, procedures, and other established guidelines. Adhere to professional accountability and accept responsibility for managing situations and problems. Work cooperatively with team members and colleagues, contributing positively and constructively to the achievement of team and College objectives and provide a high level of service to customers by establishing and maintaining effective working relationships and partnerships.
- Due to the ongoing evolution of the medical field, this position requires the regular updating of technical and instructional knowledge, skills, and abilities through professional development or coursework.
- Perform other duties as assigned, including special projects.
MINIMUM EDUCATION QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution in Emergency Medical Services or related program required.
- Master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution preferred.
- North Carolina Level I Paramedic Instructor credential (or must obtain within 6 months of hire) required.
- North Carolina Level II Paramedic Instructor credential preferred.
- Current Paramedic credential in North Carolina (or eligible for legal recognition) required.
- National Registry Paramedic certification (or must obtain within 12 months of hire) required.
- American Heart Association ACLS Instructor, PALS Instructor, and BLS Instructor required
- Critical Care Paramedic (CCEMT-P or CCP-C) or Certified Flight Paramedic (FP-C) preferred.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS
- At least three years’ experience as a paramedic in emergency medical services required.
- College-level teaching or other advanced emergency medical services formal education delivery experience required.
- Community college teaching experience, with classroom and online delivery methods, preferred.
- Healthcare simulation teaching, or simulation technician experience preferred.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills required.
Source: Hospital Jobs | Recruitology.com